Thursday, June 5, 2008

What Do You Think?

I had a disagreement with someone over how to take care of a child who is diabetic/not responsible. I told the person we would just have to agree to disagree because I will not ever believe the way they do, and it's doubtful they will believe the way I do.

It was about my son who is diabetic, and does not think he has to keep his blood sugar under control. He does not show responsibility in taking care of his blood sugar, and therefore eats sugary foods without getting shots for them.

The disagreement came from the fact that this person keeps sweets, junk food, regular sodas, and that kind of stuff around my son when he is in his care, but then expects him not to eat it. He also says he is not responsible for my son while I am in the same building. To me that is backing out of his responsibility, and so how does he expect my son to be responsible if he can't even take the responsibility of taking care of my son while in his care?

His feeling is that since my son can go to the gas station nearby and buy junk food while away from me, that I should not worry about keeping it in his face, and around the house, that I should expect him to be responsible not to eat it. I feel like then maybe I need to buy alcohol, cigarettes, drugs, and while I am at it. a loaded gun, and I will keep that in the house and expect all of my children not to get in any of it, drink it, smoke it, or use it. Come on, we are talking about a teenager, not an adult. Everyone knows that teenagers lose their brains and can't make good decisions over 60% of the time.

Adults are called adults, and kids are called kids for a reason. If I keep a loaded gun around my house and my child accidentally shoots someone, guess what? I go to jail ...WHY? Because I am supposed to be the responsible one. So the same can be said about keeping concentrated sweets, drugs, alcohol, and other dangerous things in the house. If I keep it, and my son goes into a coma, who do you think the doctor is going to blame?

Would you leave an unresponsible child home alone over and over to make them more responsible? You really can't do that. So you don't keep the concentrated sweets in front of an unresponsible diabetic and expect he will eventually become responsible. The adult has to step up and be responsible in this situation. And to me, the responsible thing to do would be to keep concentrated sweets away from a child who does not need it. It is the same with children with allergies. No responsible adult keeps foods their children are allergic to in their face. It is too dangerous.

That's my opinion, what's yours?

No comments: