Tuesday, September 2, 2008

An Interesting Day

Today in clinical I had a blast ... no really, I was so scared but my teacher was there to help me with everything, and when I went to another department, the nurse there walked us through everything we did.

I gave two sub-Q shots in the belly. I de-accessed two central venous ports, and flushed one with normal saline and heparinized saline. I stopped an IV pump, I took two blood pressures, and I documented it all using the Admin RX system and the computer.

I watched people getting their chemotherapy, and that was the two ports I de-accessed. I watched a new needle and tubing get put into a central venous port. I had a really good day!

Then as I was coming home, my husband informed me that my son's glucose monitor was stolen at school, along with his books and homework, and he spent half the day looking for it and trying to get a new monitor. I just pray that the boy that broke his nose did have anything to do with its disappearance, because he was close by when it went missing. I can't believe anyone would be so mean as to steal a diabetics monitor, that is his lifeline literally, it had all of his insulin in it that he needs everyday. Now I am out a bottle of insulin. That stuff isn't cheap!

I just pray that whoever got it, got it by accident and will return it. He was able to get a new monitor, but still, I hope someone did not deliberately take it to cause my son harm.

No comments: